tripadvisor
Updated 01/19/2024 History Room - 442 Hewett Street | Neillsville WI Jail Museum - 215 E 5th Street | Neillsville WI Mailing Address: P. O. Box 41 | Neillsville WI 54456 Ph: 715. 743. 2150 Email: 1897ccjm@gmail.com Web: 1897clarkcountyjailmuseum.com 2011-2024 - All Rights Reserved - 1897 Clark County Jail Museum Inc.
215 E 5th St    PO Box 41   Neillsville WI  54456    Ph:  715-743-2150   1897 Clark County Jail Museum Inc.
City of Neillsville Cemetery Self-Guided Cemetery Tour
Jane (Douglas) O’Neill Born: Died: Buried City of Neillsville Cemetery
 The first white child born in Clark county was Isabella O'Neill, daughter of James O'Neill, the founder, and his first wife, Jane Douglas. Their marriage took place in 1847, and the birth of Isabella took place March 6, 1849. Isabella married Wilson S. Covill, listed in the early records of Neillsville as a lumberman. The Covills made their home in Tacoma, Washington. They had four children, as follows: James, who died in Neillsville as a child; Herbert, who died in Alaska in the gold rush of 1897; Ralph, who died in Tacoma about a decade ago; Fanny, who died in Kirkland, Washington, five or six years ago. Mrs. Covill, Isabella, has been dead about 20 years. The picture shown here, the best obtainable, is an enlargement from a small snapshot, furnished by Miss Geogriebel Webb, 818 Pine street, Shelton, Wash., a grandchild.
There was a second daughter, Maria, who married Frank Darling. The Darlings long occupied the old O'Neill home, on the site of the present Skroch residence, south of O'Neill creek. That building may be in part the same as the original structure, though old-timers think that the original home was destroyed by fire, wholly or in part. Frank Darling made and repaired shoes. He occupied the business building on the east side of Hewett which faces Seventh street, and which has since been reconstructed and enlarged, being now used Rs a tavern. The Frank Darlings had two children. The older was Harry F., born in 1877 in Neillsville. He became a railroad man, making his home in Eau Claire. The younger was Isabella Jane, who was married in the state of Washington to William Campbell.
Another child of James, the Founder, and his first wife, Jane Douglas, was Thomas, who died in 1872 at the age of 21. Having lost his first wife, Jane, in 1873, James, the founder, married Mrs. Caroline Teller, a widow of Black River Falls. They had a son named John, who settled in Seattle. He became a master plumber, and upon his death his business was taken over by one of his two sons. This James saw service in the Spanish-American war with the First California Volunteers.
---Source: 1891 History of Clark & Jackson Co., Wis., pg. 231-232
Jane Douglas, was born in Kirkeudbrightshire, Scotland, the daughter of Thomas Douglas xxxxxx Douglas. Jane was one of eleven children, vis.: John, James, William, Jane, Robert, Hugh, Thomas, Isabella, David, George and Mark. In 1837 Jane’s brother Robert Douglas came to the United States, locating in Jackson County, Wisconsin. In the spring of 1840, and at that time he and Jacob Spaulding were the only white men in the county. In 1842, Robert built a sawmill, which proved a failure on account of not having sufficient water-power. In the fall of the same year he took a claim at North Bend, and also built a mill there, using the machinery in the old mill. With his brother Thomas, and brother-in-law, Jason Walker, he ran this mill until 1854, when Mr. Douglas sold his interest to his brother Thomas. When he first came to this country, Mr. Douglas took up 1,100 acres of land in Melrose, and after selling the mill he went back to this land. He furnished the material for a steamboat which he ran about three years, and again went to his farm, where he has since remained. He now owns 300 acres in section 17 and 20. He received his naturalization papers in 1840; politically he is a Republican. He joined the Methodist Episcopal Church in 1840.
First structure to be erected was a log hut 18 x 24, put up on the bank of the creek, near where the mill was afterwards constructed. This was used for about a year. In 1846 Mr. O'Neill built a more commodious house on the south side of the creek, at the location of the present Skroch residence. The old log hut eventually fell into the creek.