A BIT OF PIONEER HIST OR Y
Clark County , W isconsin T ranscribed by Lani Bartelt. J ud ge J am es O ’N ei l recently r eceived from Mrs. S. E. Hutchings now living in Los Angeles, an old copy of the The Republican and Press of Jan. 28,1904. The paper contains an account of the “old settlers” meeting held at the Opera House on Jan 21,1904. The news items in the old paper now reads like ancient history . Among the names mentioned are M.C. Ring, Harry Mead, Sam Hutchings, C. W. Dewey , J. W. McAdams, and others who have passed away or moved to other places; but the principal feature of that issue of the paper was a paper read by Judge O’Neill at the old settlers gathering, in which is recorded historic events of Clark County still more ancient Facts of the county’ s early settlement are recorded and interesting accounts of early sessions of court and the county board. The pape r read by Mr . O’Ne ill tel ls of the admission to t he bar of B.F . French, C.C. Pope, S. N. Dickinson, G. W. King and B.F . Chase. At another session of court Henry Counsell, Edward Huckstead, Chas. Hysl ip, Martin Moran, and Michael Farning were admitted to citizenship. The first circuit court jury in Clark County consisted of Orson Bacon, C. Hyslip, Levi Marsh, Wm Wheaton, Solomon Johnson, John Green, James Kirkland, Nicholas Snyder , Martin Moran, Thomas Reed, Hugh Davis, and Hiram Rennie. The first Fourth of July celebration was said to have been held in 1858, though Mrs. Levi Archer , who was present at the old settlers meeting stated that she at tended such a celebr ation in 1857 and Jud ge J. R. Sturdevant who is still living in Neil l sv ille, s tat ed t hat he re memb ere d th is celebration, and that Geor ge Frantz Sr . played the drum which consisted of a been keg with the ends knocked ou t and d eer s kin s tret ched o ver t he op ening s and the salute was fired by a local character known as “One Eyed” Riley , Mr . Sturdevant s tated that in tho se d ays settlement was made w ith the county treasurer by his showing a balance shee t on which was the amount claimed to have on hand and the committee took his word for it. The history of the county is sketched in this paper by Judge O’Neill down to date. Among the old settlers that he mentions few are left . One of events mentioned worth repeating is the fact that the pine tree growing in front of what is now Otto Neverman’ s home was planted in 1862 by a man named Bill Berry and was about two inches in diameter when planted. Its circumference at the date of the Old S ett lers party in 1904 was 5 feet 3 ½ inches. Its’ present diameter , March 9,1923 measured 6 feet 6 inches, measured a foot of f the ground. No doubt there are laid away in many homes a copy of this old paper of Jan uar y 28,1904, because it contains the record of the Old Settlers party and t he still older record read that night by Judge O’Neill. The record read by him that night from which has been quoted opens from which has been quoted, opens with a quotation from Prof. Adams, the historian: “The trash of today , becomes the treasure of tomorrow .” This is indeed often true.
Pioneer History , Clark County , W isconsin
4/19/201 1
http://wvls.lib.wi.us/ClarkCounty/pinevalley/history/PioneerHistory .htm